With summer break around the corner make sure to ‘resist the lull’ and finish strong! View our College checklist below and plan your college-centered summer!
Spring/Summer after Junior Year
- Test or test again – The final ACT of this academic year is July 14, 2018 (registration deadline is 6/15/18). The first ACT next fall is September 8, 2018 (deadline is 8/3/18).
- Continue to research and visit college campuses throughout the spring and summer – The goal is to have a reasonable list of schools you plan to apply to when school starts in the fall. List them in the Naviance system under “colleges I’m thinking about.”
- Continue to compile a list of your activities and awards in the Naviance system (using their résumé function).
- Ready to apply to colleges? Before you start your applications:
- Make sure the colleges have started accepting applications for the 2018–2019 school year.
- Determine if you are applying with the school’s individual application or are you using Common Application. (Hint: Only use Common App if you have three or more schools that will accept the Common Application. It is time-consuming! Visit www.commonapp.org for a complete list of Common App schools.)
- List the schools you are applying to in Naviance Family Connection under “colleges I’m applying to.”
- If you might pursue athletics in college, make sure you have completed the following:
- Create a student account with NCAA Clearinghouse
- Talk with your counselor to evaluate eligibility guidelines
- Have discussions as a family as to what is feasible financially as it relates to college.
- If schools you’re interested in require essays for admission and/or scholarships begin organizing your thoughts and consider signing up for Mrs. Jordan’s Summer Essay Camp.
- Complete a FAFSA predictor to gauge what financial aid you may qualify for.
Enjoy this exciting time and get busy….Senior Year will be here before you know it!
The Counseling Department